Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mary Anne Hobbs


This post won't be exactly about conversation, but about the person who is a huge inspiration for me.

Mary Anne Hobbs

Let's start from the beginning. It was August 2011, I was at the very beginning of discovering the world of electronic music and decided to go to festival called Tauron Nowa Muzyka. Thanks to twitter I met Boiler Room guys – Thristian and Charles, who were filming one of the scenes, and when they heard I'm on my own they invited me backstage (I am so grateful for that, it was amazing day thanks to them!). I had a chance to meet artists I went to festival for and also – Mary Anne. That day all I knew about her was that she used to have show on BBC Radio 1, she is well known DJ and music journalist and that she's important person for many musicians and producer, because she discovered their talent, gave them first radio play etc. When she appeared backstage I thought – she looks like the nicest person in the world. I was surprised when she came to Thristian to say hello, and when he introduced me, we talked for a little moment. I was just a random girl she saw for the first time in her life, but I felt like she really cared about what I was saying. Also the way all artists were looking at her – with huge respect and friendliness, made me think: 'I want to listen to her show!'

I started to listen Mary Anne's XFM show then, became a regular listener and often got a shout on the show. I found out that my first impression was right – Mary Anne is a great, passionate person who really cares not only about artists she likes, but also about her listeners. I love that she remembers that I'm from Poland, I love James Blake or that I had exams so she asked few weeks later how they went. There are not so many radio DJs/presenters, who really have this friendly, kinda personal relations with their listeners.

As a fan I decided I want to read more about Mary Anne's past, some articles and interviews. Then I found on Joe Muggs an interview, where I read about her childhood and the beginning of being music journalist. It still makes me impressed, I admire her for fighting for her dreams, even though it wasn't easy for her. I think that was the moment, when she became someone like a hero for me. She achieved what she wanted, do what she loves and also is a really great person.

My dad says: it doesn't matter if they like you, more important is if they respect you. But I think I prefer Mary Anne's way – to be respected and also be liked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment